Friday, January 28, 2011

Haunted Apartment in College

I've told this story many times in my life to share with people my experiences with ghosts. I've never however written it down, just told it from memory.

Back in 1991 until the end of 1993, 2 1/2 years I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 other friends of mine. We were all attending a college in that smallish town at the time. We were all in our early 20's in age. Ghosts were about as far from our minds as you can get, having fun and looking for girls were our greatest interests at the time. Oh yeah, and going to class, more like having to go to class.

Not long after we moved in, I began noticing the closet door in the hallway, opening and closing in the middle of the night. It always happened really late, likely after midnight each night. I mean, we were young, we stayed up late, and it was after we would go to bed. I don't recall hearing it when I was in the living room. The door made a distinct sound when you opened it, and closed it. No mistaking which door it was when you heard it. Immediately, hallway closet door would pop into your conscious mind.

This went on for month after month, not happening every night or anything. None of us brought it up to the others, I know I didn't. I didn't want anyone to think I was nuts. So we kept it to ourselves. We had one roommate, that would come in at all hours of the night, and often he would take a shower, when he got in, even at 2 or 3 am, he would still take a shower. I rationalized it as him coming in late, and opening the closet to get a towel. That is where we kept all of the towels for the bathroom.

I remember at some point, I was hearing this sound, almost night after night, and finally it was really starting to stick in my mind, and I began to wonder, what for sure was causing it. One night I was startled awake to the sound of that closet door opening, then closing, then opening again, and then closing again. That didn't exactly make sense, why was he needing to open it twice in a row. So I got up out of bed, I was going to see for certain, what is going on. Honestly, I was a bit scared, because it had occured to me before, that it might be a ghost. That wasn't rational though, and I was a logical and rational person. As I went to open my door to my room, I could clearly see my roommate that shared a room with me, in his bed. My other 2 roommates shared the other room in the apartment. Their door to their room was just to the left as I opened my door. I couldn't see anything or anyone in the hallway or the bathroom for that matter. I began to look to my left and I was praying that only one of my roommates was in bed asleep. I scanned their room quickly, and they were both! sound asleep! Wow, some serious stuff started coming up through my chest and I closed the door to my room as fast as I possibly could.

I got back into bed quickly, and my heart was pounding away. I knew now for certain that it wasn't my roommate, that I had rationalized it had to be. It wasn't any of my roommates that had been opening and closing the closet door over the 2 1/2 years that we lived there.

I still kept my mouth shut about this, and tried not to think about it. Fortunately in college you are so busy with things, you don't have time to worry about something like that, and you dang sure, don't want to admit you think there is a ghost in the apartment. One day the guy who shared a room with me, asked me if I had ever heard the hallway closet door close in the night, and he asked in a way that he was obviously perplexed by it. I said, "oh, yeah" and he about came unglued. He said, "You've heard it too?" I said, "yep" He said, "Well what is it?" I told him about the night I got up, and everyone was sound asleep, right after I heard it. I told him it must be a ghost. He did not want to hear that, by his reaction. I told him I thought it was Tom, he said he thought that too, but it was happening so often he began to question it.

A few weeks later, this same roommate saw the ghost over his bed in the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment